How to Apply to the Program
Submit the California State University common application and $70 nonrefundable application fee electronically at Cal State Apply (October 1, 2023 -March 1, 2024).
The application deadline for the M.A. program Fall 2024 admission period is March 1, 2024; however, for full consideration, please submit program application materials by February 1, 2024.
Complete the Interfolio supplemental application.
Please note that this supplemental application is not part of Cal State Apply but must be accessed separately. Further information is available on the SDSU Program Applications page; specific information about applying through Interfolio can be accessed on the Interfolio Applicant Guide.
The following supplemental application materials should be submitted via Interfolio:
- A 750–1000 word statement of purpose
- A 10-page writing sample from a previous literature course, preferably an analytical essay involving research
- Three letters of recommendation. Be sure to designate 3 recommenders. When applicants request a letter of recommendation, an email is sent directly to the recommender, who will then able to submit his/her letter straight to Interfolio. Applications may be submitted before the letters are received.
- A completed “Course list for MA applicants” form. The form is available on the Interfolio site or may be downloaded here.
The application deadline for the M.A. program Fall 2024 admission period is March 1, 2024; however, for full consideration, please submit materials by February 1, 2024.
For more information about materials that need to be submitted to the department, please contact Olivia Perez at [email protected].
Materials due to Graduate Admissions no later than March 1, 2024 (again, for full consideration, please submit materials by February 1, 2024):
Graduate applicants are required to submit official transcripts in sealed envelopes (issued by the school) from all post- secondary schools attended. Do not send transcripts before submitting the Cal State Apply application, as this may result in processing delays. The required documents are listed below:
U.S. Postsecondary Institutions
- Official transcripts must have been issued within the last year. Transcripts received with print dates older than one year will not be accepted.
- If you previously attended SDSU, you need only submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance. Hard copy transcripts for SDSU coursework are not required.
- Electronic transcripts are acceptable. Please ensure that you indicate this preference when making your request. If you are required to provide an email address to send the secure online document to SDSU, please use [email protected].
- If you have international coursework, you must have your school send one record of all academic coursework and proof of degree, both in the original language.
- For each original-language document, you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original-language documents and in the same format.
- For details on which documents are required, visit the Requirements by Country page. Failure to submit the exact country-specific documents listed will result in your application being canceled.
The deadline to submit official transcripts will be indicated in your my.SDSU account under Admission Status. Official documents should be submitted to:
San Diego State University 5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-8225
The GRE requirement (mandated by SDSU for graduate study) has been suspended.
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (regardless of citizenship status) applying to SDSU from an international institution where the medium of instruction was not English, must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL minimum score of 80 iBT/ 550 PBT: Score can be sent electronically from Educational Testing Service (ETS) using the SDSU institution code: 4682. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- IELTS overall score of 6.5 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Duolingo English Test score of 105 or higher: Score can be sent electronically from Duolingo to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- PTE minimum score of 58 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Transcripts have been received indicating English as the principal language of instruction.
A copy of your official score report or unofficial transcript can be submitted through your my.SDSU account under Upload Admission Documents.
For more information about the documents to be submitted to Graduate Admissions, please phone (619) 594-6336 or visit the Graduate Admission site.
“The M.A. program at SDSU equipped me with the critical analysis and networking skills necessary to thrive in a Ph.D. program. The professors encourage professional development and are very open to helping students make inroads and connections for potential PhD pursuit. The diverse education, encouragement of scholarship, and exceptional mentorship prepared me well for doctoral work and for teaching at the college level.”