The English & Comparative Literature Honors Program offers excellent students a variation of the major designed to engage them in work commensurate with their abilities and to prepare them for the rigors of graduate study. Students in the English & Comparative Literature Major (Major Code: 112101), the English & Comparative Literature Major in Preparation for the Single Subject Teaching Credential (Major Code: 112102), and the Comparative Literature Major (Major Code: 111701) are eligible to apply to the department Honors Program.
Successful completion of the English and Comparative Literature Honors program is recognized at graduation and appears on the final transcript.
General requirements for graduation with Honors:
- Complete at least nine (9) units of lower-division preparation for the major and nine (9) units of upper-division major requirements with a 3.7 major GPA and 3.5 overall GPA.
- Submit an appropriate sample of their critical or creative work.
Please see the advising sheet for the Honors Program for specific requirements.
To apply to the Honors Program, please submit to the Undergraduate Director:
- the completed application form
- a set of transcripts
- name of one faculty member from the Department of English and Comparative Literature willing to recommend you to the program
- a seven- to ten-page sample of graded critical work*
Please submit your Honors English / Comparative Literature application materials to the Department of English and Comparative Literature office, AL 226, Attention: Undergraduate Director.
*If you have questions about the length or scope of the writing sample, please speak to the Undergraduate Director before submitting your application.
AdvisingThe Undergraduate Director is Professor Clare Colquitt. You schedule an advising appointment through EAB.