The English and Comparative Literature Honors program offers outstanding students a variation of the major designed to maximize their undergraduate educational experience as well as prepare them for the rigors of graduate study.
Successful completion of the English and Comparative Literature Honors program is recognized at graduation and appears on the final transcript.
Requirements for graduation with Honors:
- 3.7 minimum GPA in upper division courses*
- 3.5 minimum GPA overall
- one additional upper division course appropriate for field of interest
- Honors Thesis (English 498 or Comparative Literature 498)
Please see the advising sheet for the Honors Program for specific requirements.
*While not indiscriminately flexible, the Undergraduate Director does have some leeway to exercise discretion in making determinations with regard to Honors Program applicants. If students are somewhat close to the mandated 3.7 GPA in upper division courses, please consider applying for this program.
To apply to the Honors Program, please submit to the Undergraduate Director:
- the completed application form
- a set of transcripts
- name of one faculty member from the Department of English and Comparative Literature willing to recommend you to the program
- a seven- to ten-page sample of graded critical work**
Please submit your Honors English / Comparative Literature application materials to the Department of English and Comparative Literature office, AL 226, Attention: Undergraduate Director.
**If you have questions about the length or scope of the writing sample, please speak to the Undergraduate Director before submitting your application.
AdvisingThe Undergraduate Director is Professor Clare Colquitt. To make an advising appointment, please contact Kim Navarro at [email protected].