Single Subject Teaching Credential
Students preparing to obtain the single subject credential in English may take a “Language Arts” program in which courses in communication, journalism, linguistics, and theatre supplement the major concentration in English. This version of the English major satisfies subject matter competency requirements set forth by the California Commission onTeacher Credentialing. Students completing this program of study are eligible for a CSET waiver (see Undergraduate Director for more information). The program consists of 46 upper division units and is taken instead of the traditional English major modules. Courses in the major cannot be double-counted.
The requirements for the English major in preparation for the Single Subject Teaching Credential are as follows:
- 3 units of English 502
- 3 units of English 508W
- 3 units of English 533
- 6 units of American or British literature survey:
- For those who took English 250A-250B in preparation for the major, select 3 units from English 510A, 530, 534, 536, 537, 540A, 541A, 541B, or 542 AND 3 units from English 510B, 540B, 543, or 544
- For those who took English 260A-260B, select 6 units from English 519, 521, 522, 523, 524, or 525
- 3 units of Theatre 310
- 3 units of Linguistics 430 or 530
- 3 units of Linguistics 452, 454, or 550
- 4 units of Rhetoric and Writing Studies 509 AND Teacher Education 362 taken concurrently.
- 3 units of a Diversity Literature Course selected from Comparative Literature 440, 445, 451 [or Asian Studies 451], American Indian Studies 430, Chicana and Chicano Studies 380 [or Latin American Studies 380], 450, English 335 [or Chicana and Chicano Studies 335], 365A [or Africana Studies 365A], 365B [or Africana Studies 365B], 450, 519, 520, 550, Theatre 465, or Women’s Studies 352.
- 3 units of a 500-level elective in English or comparative literature.
- 12 units of one of the following specializations:
- Literature: 12 units in any 500-level courses in English or comparative literature.
- English and American Literature: 12 units in any 500-level courses in English.
- Comparative Literature: 12 units of any 500-level courses in comparative literature.
- Written Expression: 12 units selected from English 570-584W, Rhetoric and Writing Studies 500W.
- Linguistics: 12 units selected from
- Group A (ESL emphasis): Linguistics 452, 454, 550, 554, 555 or
- Group B (English language linguistics emphasis): Linguistics 420, 551, 552, 554, 571.
- Theatre: 12 units selected from Theatre 325, 359, 510, 580.
- Journalism: 12 units selected from Journalism and Media Studies 300, 408, 460, 480.
Download the advising sheet for the Single Subject Teaching Credential in English.
For more information about the credential program, please visit the School of Teacher Education website.
AdvisingThe Undergraduate Director is Professor Clare Colquitt. You schedule an advising appointment through EAB.
Class Schedule- English | Class Schedule- Comp. Lit. | SDSU General Catalog | Academic Calendar | Major Academic Plan